Monday, August 30, 2010

Thank you Me!

I just opened my desk drawer on a Monday mroning and found a chocolate and caramel bar I left there from a craving last week and I thought...Oh! I love myself! Thank you, me!

I should treat myself more often :)

On a more serious note, I've been working my way through St. Teresa of Avila's Interior Castles. Almost every paragraph is profound enough to make me want to reread it again right then, and the underlining has gotten a bit out of control. The idea of an interior spiritual castle with countless different rooms and God at the center...it's intriguing. Even in the 1500's when it was written, she writes how there is so much focus on the exterior, that most people never take the time to quiet their mind and enter their own interior dwelling place to meditate and pray their way to God. How much more true could that be today? With a total focus on the exterior and no lasting substance. Divine justice is that one day, every one will grow old. Death comes to us all, and at the end, if you haven't cultivated your character and filled your life with people who truly know and love you, the end will be lonely and dark.

"There is no point in our fatiguing ourselves by attempting to comprehend the beauty of this castle; for, though it is His creature...the very fact that His Majesty says it is made in His image means that we can hardly form any conception of the soul's great dignity and beauty"