Friday, August 6, 2010

Adoration


Michael is so beautiful when he prays. His face is so pure and earnest. I love to watch him in adoration of our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

We were lucky enough last night to have 2 hours in the presence of the Lord in Eucahristic Adoration. My regualr hour is 11-12 on Thursday evenings, but last night the adorable couple, The Bio's, who are usually there from 10-11, the hour before us, were out of town. We were out of town last week, so it was like we got to make our missed hour up.

I love eucharistic adoration. As soon as you enter that cool, dim, hushed presence, kneel down, close your eyes and fold your hands, all my jumbled thoughts and problems seem to quickly fade into a warm inviting pool of God's grace. I always think in those first few moments, this is what it's all about. Not the wedding plans, not my worries about our finances or jobs, but this...this is all that matters. Being with my Lord. Listening to His voice. Lifting up in prayer all those in my life and their needs. I feel a responsibility to pray for all of the people God has placed in my life. So many have no one to say a prayer for them. And the poor souls in purgatory who are on their knees day and night in the fire praying for themsleves to no avail. Their prayers cannot help them now. Only ours can. Every day I say the prayer revealed to Saint Gertrude the Great that is said to release a vast number of souls from purgatory every time it is said with confidence:

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the Universal Church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

Today is the First Friday of the month. On our lunch break, we will go to the church. The Blessed Sacrament will be exposed on the altar. It is riveting to be face to face with the Lord of Hosts.

And then the weekend! We have some lovely plans and I hope to get a little sun. It's been too hot to be outside at all and I'm feeling sunshine deficient.